A pole saw is a tool that consists of the cutting chain located on a long handle (pole). With this tool, you can stay on the ground and cut dry tree branches over your head. The tool is used both in private gardens and farms, as well as in public parks, gardens, commercial real estate, etc. It can be used for cutting dry and damaged branches of trees anywhere. If you have doubts about the choice between an electric or gas pole saw, this information will be useful for you.
Major types of pole saws:
- Mechanical or manual pole saws are good for the use at small-to-medium backyards houses with few trees that require occasional cutting and trimming. Not a very popular type of tool, although they are not expensive;
- Electric tools are more productive instruments that need to be constantly connected to the electricity grid, which certainly limits the range of its use. The cutting part of the electric pole saw is a chain, and similar to a chainsaw, only with a long pole and rubber handle;
- Gasoline-based instruments have a similar design to the electric ones. The main difference is the engine type. Such a tool has the best power of all pole saw types;
As you can see, the choice of tools for the safe cutting and trimming of trees is huge, and you can buy a useful tool for garden care based on your financial possibilities.
Electric pole saw: pros
- It is very quiet, which allows you to work with it for a long time without getting tired of the noise of the engine;
- The cut made with this tool is clear and smooth;
- The telescopic handle and the relatively low weight allow you to work on tree crowns even at the heights above 4.5 yards;
- The handle is usually made of non-slip material and the optimal width is selected for a comfortable and safe grip;
Electric models using a battery for work are deprived of the main drawback of motor-based tools – dependence on the power supply. They successfully combine the advantages of electric models – low weight, low level of noise during work, and the autonomy of gasoline tools.
Gas pole saw: pros
- These tools are very powerful due to the heavier engines;
- Can cut even the thickest branches and trees;
- Fully portable;
- Can serve for many days without an additional source of fuel;
Gas or electricity: comparison of the engine power
Electric pole saws have several important advantages. Such instruments are ready for use as soon as you plug them into the socket. Electric tools are quiet, making them attractive to those who love peace and comfort. Their engines do not emit any toxic emissions, thus taking care of nature and human health. Extremely simple operation and low weight, as well as lack of maintenance, are undeniable advantages of electric pole saws for women and elderly people with little knowledge of technical nuances.
Also, keep in mind that the boundaries of the workspace are somewhat limited by the network cable. On the other hand, the connection of a power cord easily handles this problem. Due to such a motor, an electric tool will perfectly cope with the household needs of a small garden. By the way, its motor is near the cutting part. Also, such motors in electric pole saws provide more efficiency and high torque.
Gasoline-based pole saws tools are usually equipped with professional attachments that can perform particularly complex operations. These tools are designed for continuous work for several hours per day. The internal combustion engine drives these instruments, so you can get as far away from home as he wants. This tool can be re-fueled directly in the workplace. These devices are often used in public parks with many trees, where speed and autonomy are required. The increased motor resource is an additional advantage of gas pole saws compared to electric tools. In gasoline models, the engine is based at the bottom and the shaft runs inside the pole.
The power of the pole saw’s engine directly affects the duration of the device’s productivity. The greater the power, the larger the diameter of the branch that can be cut. The engine power of about 1 kW is quite enough for small works in an average backyard. In addition, the tool can cut branches up to 0.7 inches in diameter. A powerful engine of more than 1 kW is equipped with a gasoline tank, for which productivity is important. Such models can serve for more than a thousand hours of work.
Gas or electric pole saw: the chain mechanism
Different tools have various lengths of the chain and blade from 8 to 20 inches. For small gardens and small trees, it is enough to pick the tool with the blade’s length from 7.8 to 9.8 inches is sufficient. For huge gardens with lush vegetation, longer cutting blades are chosen to ensure high productivity and the fastest work.
A pole saw’s chain is put on a fixed rod, similar to manual chainsaws. The compact cutting tool helps to get to the thickest thickets. The different blade’s lengths with a standard chain pitch of 0.325 or 0.404 inches correspond to manual and electric/gasoline tools. Electric and gas pole saws are equipped with professional-grade chains and blades that can handle even wet wood and thicker branches.
Things to look for both in gas and electric pole saws
1. Extendable or telescopic poles of these instruments in the assembled position have a length of about 67 inches. When expanded a telescopic pole can reach 95-110 inches. In the case of professional tools, the pole may extend over 177 inches in length. The telescopic pole helps to reach the highest branches without the installation of a sliding ladder. Using a pole saw without a telescopic rod makes it a regular manual chainsaw. Such tools are good for cutting medium-high trees and shrubs. The rubber handle may prevent the tool from sliding out of hands while working. Such handles provide a firm and reliable grip for your hands.
2. Adjustment of the cutting blade’s angle. The quality of the cutting blade depends on the sharpening method. A sharp blade will help you cope with your work in half the time. For convenience it is designed to adjust the angle of inclination from 0 to 90°. This setting will help to cope and adjust to the tree branches at different heights. Secure clips assist to secure any of the selected positions. There are models where the adjustment is limited to an angle of 90° or no adjustment at all.
3. Automatic chain lubricant. Depending on the cutting blade of a pole saw, the lubricant is supplied in various proportions. The lubricant is released in a huge amount automatically. The duration and stability of a manual tool, as well as the smoothness and speed of its chain, depending on the constant lubrication. A sufficiently large tank of approximately 0.2 gallons will allow you to work for several hours. Lack of automatic lubrication will require the user to stop periodically to cool down the tool during long working hours.
Common tips for the buyers of pole saws:
- Check the pole’s length. Allows you to work on taller trees without extra tools to raise them higher;
- Engine power is important if you own a large garden or backyard with many trees. It is worth choosing an instrument with the most powerful engine that suits your price range;
- Pick a tool with an automatic chain lubrication;
- The size of the cutting chain. The larger it is, the faster you can do your job;
- The tool’s weight you plan to use should be as low as possible.
- Consider the level of noise that you are willing to tolerate when working. If you are not ready to tolerate loud noise, choose electric models.
Pick different pole saws for different tasks
If you have a small area of up to 10 hectares, and there are not many trees that require processing, and you do not want to spend a lot of money on a tool that will not be in use all the time, then the mechanical pole saw will suit you.
If you have a large area, or it is decorated with many decorative trees that require constant care and trim, but you do not want to tolerate noise and exhaust emissions from a gasoline engine, then choose an electric instrument. You can choose the battery-based version, but it is more expensive.
If you own a huge estate or a park area around your commercial property, and you do not know where and how many trees you have, you should buy a gasoline tool. This instrument will significantly increase the speed of your work.
As you can see, the choice of a gas or electric pole saw mostly depends on your tasks and budget. There is absolutely no need to invest in expensive tools if you are going to use a pole saw occasionally. It is more important to buy a high-quality instrument that will serve for many years.