Major features of pole saws
Many people think that pole saw is just a chainsaw on a stick. But it is not quite true. Pole saw is an instrument with an extendable pole for cutting trees. It consists of an engine, a long drive rod and a saw resembling the chainsaw type, only a bit shorter. Thanks to such a design, pole saws are picked when a gardener needs to cut dry branches to maintain the systematic trimming of tall trees without using a ladder.
Surely, with a small number of trees in the backyard, there is no point in overpaying for a special tool – a regular chainsaw or even a manual pole saw will be enough. But even in a small garden, a handheld pole saw can speed up your work and cope with any tasks related to decorative trimming of bushes.
Check key features of standard pole saws:
Cheap pole saws with an electric motor are simple and affordable. More expensive instruments are equipped with a gasoline engine designed for permanent operation. The higher the price, the greater the power and productivity of these tools.
Of course, an important advantage of pole saws with a low-power electric motor is a reduced price, the minimum waste of money and time on maintenance, quiet operation and no pollution or emissions.
However, electric pole saws depend on the electric network. Such instruments require extension cords and they can’t be compared to gasoline models. Battery-based models can help you to get rid of the wires, but they’re also expensive.
If all options are expensive for you, think about a pole saw rental available in most cities and towns.
2. Parameters for cutting a tree crown
If you need a multifunctional instrument to trim hedges and tree crowns, then it is better to buy a model with a length of 13 – 20 inches.
The headset chain of pole saws is similar to chainsaws – a standard pitch of 0.325 for household and 0.404 for professional models (the greater the pitch, the higher the pole saw’s chain performance).
3. Basic technical parameters
If a tool is equipped with a keyless chain tensioning system, you can quickly adjust it before using it. Also, according to the opinion of many professional gardeners, it is much more convenient to work with a pruning saw with a telescopic pole. Opt for the instrument with automatic chain lubrication – there is no need to stop and lubricate bars manually.
Gardeners recommend picking the instruments consisting of a 12-inch chain saw head and extendable aluminum pole. Make sure that the pole’s length is adjustable from 8 to 14 feet. Experts advise selecting a pole saw with a maximum vertical reach of 20 feet. That will be the best pole saw.
Pole saw vs chainsaws: advantages of pole saw cutters
- Quick ignition. As soon as plugged in, electric pole saws are ready for use, allowing increasing efficiency and productivity;
- Quiet work. An electric pole saw is ideal for users who appreciate comfort during work. Such a tool allows you working for a long time without feeling tired;
- Absence of exhaust fumes and oil waste makes pruning saws makes an extremely environmentally friendly tool;
- Easy to operate. This makes a pole saw tool ideal for retired people, women and people who do not have much physical strength;
- They are highly efficient. The features of the tool’s design, in which direct drive provides high torque, makes the machine as efficient as possible. In addition, the motor in electric models is located near the cutting part, greatly increasing its power;
Major features of chainsaws
A chainsaw works thanks to the internal combustion engine, which is connected to the chain with sharp blades. The simple mechanism has an increased level of reliability.
You can choose among a few chainsaw types in the U.S. market:
- Gasoline chainsaws are good for occasional use. The great advantage of gasoline chainsaws is that they are lightweight and small in size. Most often, such a chainsaw is used to cut a small amount of firewood for igniting and burning the furnace. The basic capabilities of a gasoline chainsaw are quite limited so experts recommend using it no more than 2 hours per day;
- Electric chainsaws are more powerful and multifunctional. You can use it up to 16 hours a day without a break;
Pros of using chainsaws compared to pole saws
- Most chainsaws do not need a power supply, while corded pole saws are quite inconvenient from this point of view;
- Chainsaws are good for use in a variety of environments;
- Electric chainsaws are more powerful;
- Chainsaws can work long enough without interruption;
- Gasoline tools have a high level of reliability and long service life;
Chainsaws vs pole saws – check the cons of using chainsaws
However, chainsaws have several disadvantages compared to pole saw instruments:
- Gasoline tools are more harmful to the environment and human health because they emit fumes;
- Chainsaws make loud noises while working, compared to pole saws;
- Also, gasoline instruments produce vibrations that make the working process more complicated;
- Petrol-based saws will have to be filled with gasoline on a regular basis, which can cause additional expenses;
- It is quite problematic to start a gasoline engine when it is cold outside;
Pick a pole chainsaw if you need both tools!
So, you’ve checked the advantages and disadvantages of both instruments and still have doubts or you simply need to use these tools for different tasks. Select a pole saw and chainsaw combo. That is okay, then you should take a closer look at pole chainsaws capable of dealing with heavy-duty pruning and tree cutting. In other words, if you seek a powerful instrument to prune high overhead, check the basic types of pole chainsaws:
What is the main difference between pole saws and pole chainsaws? The second one is a chainsaw on a stick. Such tools are much smaller and easier to handle than regular chainsaws. The bars of such tools are also small, from the range of 8 to 12 inches. Experts do not advise applying these tools on thick and heavy twigs or branches. They are the safest choice for pruning tall branches.
Think over a pulley system saw as an alternative
Another alternative to chainsaws and pole saws is a lopper with an extendable pole operating by means of a rope and pulley system. These are light-duty tools capable of cutting the branches ¾ inches in diameter. You may want to check such extendable instruments where a blade can be attached separately when you are going to prune. The mechanism works by pushing and pulling the saw’s pole.
If you still have questions regarding what is best – pole saw or chainsaw, please, compare the options offered by manufacturers. Some tools are electric, environment-friendly and powerful, other manual cutters are more affordable and easier to handle. The choice mostly depends on your daily gardening tasks for cutting trees and bushes.